I can't find anything in the transliteration tables that says this
explicitly, but the examples in the Arabic and Persian sections make it
clear that supplying vowels that are (following normal Arabic-script
practice) not actually represented in the original script is an integral
part of the ALA-LC romanization, not a deviation from it.  The Hebrew
table does say that supplying vowels is part of romanization under
"Rules of Application."  And there are also other scripts e.g. Thai and
Lao where the ALA-LC romanization depends on the standard pronunciation
of a word, not just on a letter-for-letter transliteration of the spelling.

Robert.