[cross-posted to EAD Roundtable, EAD, and Archives & Archivists lists]

Dear Colleagues:

Please join us on Wednesday, August 12th at 3:15, for a thought-provoking
EAD Roundtable meeting. Since the 1990s, many of us have devoted
significant training and technology resources, as well as  many hours of
staff time, to EAD encoding and delivery of finding aids. It is vitally
important for us to protect our investment by optimizing EAD practices to
take advantage of new discovery methods using linked data and the semantic
web.

At the EAD Roundtable meeting, Mark Matienzo, Applications Developer at
The New York Public Library Digital Experience Group, will address these
issues in his presentation entitled: "Linked Data and Archival
discuss a possible update to the EAD Roundtable mission statement and
ideas for EAD-related session proposals, and we will elect a new
Roundtable Vice Chair. A full agenda and presentation abstract follows.

See you in Austin!

Jill Katte, EAD Roundtable Chair
Jacquelyn Ferry, EAD Roundtable Vice Chair

AGENDA

1. Welcome and Chair Report

2. Committee Reports and Updates

3. Vice Chair / Chair Elect Candidate Statement

4. Discussion of update to EAD Roundtable Mission statement

5. Presentation: Linked Data and Archival Description: Confluences,
Contingencies, and Conflicts
Mark Matienzo, New York Public Library Digital Experience Group.

Abstract: Neither the World Wide Web itself nor Web-based archival
description is new to archivists. Additionally, Linked Data, in one form
or another, has been central for defining the conceptual architecture of
the Web. This presentation argues that the concepts behind Linked Data are
not new to archives either, and, in fact, are central to effective
archival description. We will discuss implementation details and perceived
benefits for both archivists and information seekers, and consider
potential impediments relating to both existing standards such as EAD and
conceptual assumptions underlying the practice of archival description.

6. Election Results

7. Introduction of new Chair and Vice Chair

8. Discussion of session proposal ideas for SAA 2010