The xmlns generated by XMetal is rather odd in that it supplies a
prefix that duplicates the actual namespace. The schema declares the
namespace as follows:

xmlns="http://eac.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de"

and NOT

xmlns:eac.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de="http://eac.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de
"

You might check XMetal documentation to see if there is an option for
how the namespace is generated from the schema declaration. Perhaps it
will allow you to change this behavior.

Daniel