Tessa Fallon wrote:
> My apologies, I hit send before I was finished!  The ISO abbreviations
> (I believe) reflect the spelling of the language in that same language,
> so "Croatian" is "hrv", Moldovian/Romanian is abbreviated "rum" (Rumanian).

FYI it looks as though the MARC codes are reflecting the perception of
the Serbo-Croat language as unified in the former Yugoslavia, albeit
Croatia favoured the Roman alphabet (hence "scr"?) while Serbia
historically favoured Cyrillic ("scc"). Post-independence, the languages
have naturally (re)asserted these and other distinctive differences.

A related issue affects the language of Moldova: as a Soviet republic
Moldova used Cyrillic, though the language is effectively Romanian,
which uses Latin. This may be connected with why MARC chooses to
distinguish Moldovan from Romanian (though it's equally true that the
same language spoken in two different countries rarely stays the same
for long! ;)

Something like that, anyway - these things are a political and
historical minefield, I hope I've stepped lightly enough around what to
some may be sensitive issues!

Richard

--
Richard M. Davis