Hi Ethan,

The short answer to your question is yes.

Aeon is designed to work in conjunction with your existing EAD search and display platform. Basically, your platform serves as a search and discovery tool that enables the user to identify relevant finding aids based on a set of search criteria. To implement Aeon, all you need to do is to add a link from your interface that points to your Aeon server and tells it where to retrieve the native EAD/XML file so that it can redisplay the selected finding aid in the context of the user’s personalized Aeon web account (created at that time, or beforehand). In redisplaying the finding aid, Aeon applies a customizable XSLT stylesheet that creates the collapsible headings used to navigate the guide and the HTML checkboxes next to each container to facilitate automated requesting.

In preparation for the upcoming SAA annual meeting, I’m finalizing a new brochure insert that will illustrate how it all works using an example finding aid from the University of Chicago, which took its Aeon implementation live last month. I’ll follow up with a posting when that brochure has been added in PDF format to our website. (The Ransom Center, by the way, chose to implement our EAD requesting a bit differently, parsing their guides with a script based on our stylesheet beforehand so that users can skip the initial browse and view the finding aid with checkboxes even before logging into their account – Aeon is quite flexible and customizable in that way).

To see this live, feel free to sign up for one of my regularly scheduled online demos; see http://www.atlas-sys.com/products/aeon/resources.html for details.

Thanks for your interest!

Christian