I like Karen's idea of having students look at the way data are displayed.

(Having students search and then talk about what they like , find
problematic, or what features are helpful is especially helpful I find with
making 'connections' in class.
Lately we have been looking at online catalogs using classification to
'browse shelf' more etc  it is definitely helpful to make the connection
from the documentation alone. We've been looking at Endeca from NCSU  and
also at VuFind from Villanova U.  many of these also have podcasts about the
catalog and features.)

Remembering, of course, that those using local systems can display information differently from one local system to another -- which I think is one of the main points of cataloging today.  Once you have the data correctly entered (regardless of whether you are using MARC or something that's XML-based or something else entirely different) the way you display data is very much your (the library's) call.  And it's also essential to keep in mind what is useful to the user (which can be broadly defined).

Cordially,

Marjorie

Marjorie E. Bloss, Lecturer
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Dominican University
7900 West Division Street
River Forest, IL  60305
708-524-6468 (voice)
708-524-6657 (fax)
"A great teacher is a tough guy who cares deeply about something that is hard to understand."  Norman Maclean