Joe,

> Regarding the non-roman data in your MODS records, I wonder if
> <extension> is merely a storage place for that data, or if it is used in
> a functional way for indexing or display in your systems?

We are using <extension> as a storage place, but you can see how we
display the non-roman data contained in it here:

    http://copac.ac.uk/search?ti=Qian+gu+zhi+mi&rn=1

We use MODS as a way of holding the data for display and export
(into a variety of formats via XSL Transformations.) Indexing is
done separately.

> The MARC $6
> feature permits a field-specific ability to toggle roman and non-roman
> data in a user display -- would a similar feature in MODS be useful for
> you (and other MODS implementors)?

I'm not sure we would use such a facility -- even though the MARC21
records we create the MODS record from have the $6 data.

Regards,

Ashley.