In the MODS-MARC map, <subject><hierarchicalGeographic> maps to 752.
However, in the MARC format, 752 is meant for an "added entry [NOTE: not
subject heading] in which the entry element is a hierarchical form of
place name that is related to a particular attribute of the described
item, e.g., the place of publication for a rare book."

Shouldn't <subject><hierarchicalGeographic> map instead to 662,
"Hierarchical form of a geographic name used as a subject added entry"?

We are using LC's conversion tools but would like our subjects to map to
6xx, not 7xx.

It looks like 662 might be a relatively new addition to the MARC format
and so I'm wondering if this is just an oversight?

Thanks for your help!

Jane Otto
E-Monographs and Multimedia Metadata Librarian
Rutgers University Libraries

(732) 445-5904
(732) 445-5888 (fax)
Library Technical Services Building