Hi Betsy,

We use this arrangement in Library of Congress Web Archives (LCWA) MODS cataloging For example, here's here's an LCWA MODS record for a legal blog <http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/lcwa/mrva0015.0082/mods.xml>.

Tracy

>>> Betsy McKelvey <[log in to unmask]> 8/14/2009 11:07 AM >>>
I discovered (serendipitously) that the mods\physicalDescription\extent can be repeated and the mods record still validates.  For the collection I'm working with, repeating this field seems to make sense.  A list of the components that make up the object seems more readable than a lengthy concatenated string:

                    <mods:physicalDescription>
                        <mods:form authority="marcform">electronic</mods:form>
                        <mods:internetMediaType>image/jp2</mods:internetMediaType>
                        <mods:internetMediaType>image/jpeg</mods:internetMediaType>
                        <mods:internetMediaType>image/tif</mods:internetMediaType>
                        <mods:extent>8 black-and-white negatives (60mm)</mods:extent>
                        <mods:extent>9 color negatives (35mm)</mods:extent>
                        <mods:digitalOrigin>reformatted digital</mods:digitalOrigin>
                    </mods:physicalDescription>
Any reactions to this?  Is repeating the field risky because of the possibility that a future version of the .xsd may constrain number mods\physicalDescription\extent to a single instance?

Thanks,

Betsy