Hello, and apologies for cross-posting…

I'm doing an informal survey of software and systems for metadata management in a digital library context.   Although we'd like to be aware of others in the landscape, we're particularly interested in tools that work with Fedora and MODS (as well as various technical metadata) for all formats of material.  We're looking at updating some of our systems and are looking for something comprehensive, but even a limited tool for metadata creation, workflow, management and dissemination might be helpful for us to look at.  If you know of:

a.  A particular tool or system, either that's available to us now or that is in development,

b.  A list, or other resource that's "up to date", that includes or assesses such tools and systems,

please let me know.

We're interested to know:

the software environment,

how it handles identifiers and links between files and metadata,

what metadata schemas does it support,

access and export functionailities (OAI providers, APIs, XML transformations, etc.),

preservation and technical metadata handling,

what kind of metadata manager interface for editing, search, etc. it provides and how "user friendly" that is,

rights management features and access control,

complex object modeling (part/whole, presentation order, original/surrogate, collection/subcollection/member, etc.),

support for end-user discovery interface(s),

handling of controlled vocabularies and/or authority records,

workflow management,

use tracking,

and a sense of how extensible/customizeable the system is.

We're most interested in open source tools but want to know about proprietary system features as well (we're looking at ContentDM and some others).

If you have a few extra minutes to comment on one or more of these aspects of a system you're familiar with, that'd be great.

You can reply off-list if you like, and if folks are interested I'll summarize the responses.

Many thanks,

Laura

Laura Akerman

Technology and Metadata Librarian