I have some questions about what we should and should not do with Google records in OCLC if we turn those into Provider-Neutral E-Monograph records to accommodate volumes that we have digitized locally. These are items that were digitized before we knew that Google had or was planning to digitize them, or multi-volume monographs where we have digitized a different volume than Google. We are adding Registry of Digital Masters fields to these records because we intend to preserve our digital version. The questions are:

 

1.     First of all, I am assuming that we should use the Google record and turn it into a Provider-Neutral E-Monograph record rather than creating another record for the Registry of Digital Masters. Is this correct?

2.     If so, should we keep the 506 that says, "Access to some volumes or items may be restricted"? If so, should we modify it to say something like "Access to some volumes or items available through Google Book Search Library project may be restricted"? Note that we are adding a 506 for our copy that says "No restrictions", which is required for RDM records and acceptable in Provider-Neutral records if they are records for the Registry of Digital Masters.

3.     Should we keep the Google 533? If so, and if it is a multi-volume monograph, should we modify it to add $3 indicating what volume(s) Google digitized? Note that we are adding a 533 for our copy, which again is acceptable in Provider-Neutral records if they are records for the Registry of Digital Masters.

4.     Is it ok if we delete the 530 from the electronic version record that says "Also issued in print" and change the 776 in the electronic version record from $c Original to $i Print version: $a [author]. $t [title] $w [control numbers]?

5.     Is it ok if we delete the 530 from the print version record that says, "Also issued online" and add a 776 to the print version record in the form $i Online version: $a [author]. $t [title] $w [control numbers]?

6.     Is it ok if we add $3 to Google's URL if it is a multi-volume monograph and they only digitized one or some of the volumes?

 

We have started using Google records if we happen to have digitized the same thing before we realized that Google digitized it, or if we have digitized a different volume of a multi-volume monograph, and we are attempting to turn those into Provider-Neutral records. We have been keeping Google's 506 and modifying it as in #2 above. We have been keeping Google's 533 and modifying it as in #3 above if it's a multi-volume monograph. We have been changing the 776 in the electronic version record as in #4 above and adding the 776 to the print version record as in #5 above. If it's a multi-volume monograph, we have been adding $3 to Google's URL as in #6 above. We have also added 007s (in addition to Google's 007), a 538, a 583 and of course our 856(s) as per Registry of Digital Masters Record Creation Guidelines, which are available at http://www.diglib.org/collections/reg/DigRegGuide200705.htm

 

If anybody has questions about what we are doing or why, or thinks that we should be doing anything different, please let me know. If you would like to see an example of a record like this, see OCLC #301291590 for Abeokuta and the Camaroons Mountains.

 

Thanks!

 

Renette Davis

Head, Serials & Digital Resources Cataloging

University of Chicago Library