I have some more questions about Provider-Neutral E-Mono records. I'm addressing these to the list instead of privately to the folks who developed the Provider-Neutral E-Monograph MARC Record Guide because I figured everyone can benefit from the discussion.

This time my questions have to do with what kind of Description based on note to use for a born digital resource. When the provider-neutral approach was adopted for serials, we decided to include where the resource was viewed, in addition to when it was viewed. Should we do the same thing for monographs?

An example would be OCLC #436045808 for A comparative dictionary of the Indo-Aryan languages. This is a database that was created by digitizing two volumes of a print dictionary, plus an index, and a supplement. Our source of title proper/date the resource was viewed note looks like this:

500 Title from home page (Digital Dictionaries of South Asia Web site, viewed on Sept. 2, 2009).

In this particular case, it's not too likely this resource would be available from any other Web site, but in other cases, it could. The Provider-Neutral E-Monograph MARC Record Guide says to use the provider-neutral approach for born-digital resources, and to use it from Day One, even if the resource is available from only one provider at the time of cataloging.

I was also wondering whether people are using the Source of Title Note for Internet Resources, Third Revision, which was published online in 2005 by OLAC. It is available at:

http://www.olacinc.org/drupal/?q=node/20

That document includes a provision to add where the resource was viewed in addition to when it was viewed for serials. If we decide to do the same thing for monographs, perhaps it should be revised.

Thanks,

Renette