I think the definition of  "conference" and "symposium" is not germane to the question.

LC's list of ambiguous headings makes a distinction between events with formal names (111) and events without formal names (150). The Lincoln-Douglas Debates were named after the fact and, therefore, did not have a formal name at their conception. That's why LC choose to make them a 150. LC could, of course, be petitioned to change their minds, based on a sense of formality to the name now. However, the question is ambiguous (which is why those types of events are on the ambiguous names list) and LC came down on one side of the ambiguity. Changing it to the other side of the ambiguity would, in my opinion, be waste of everyone's time.

Billie Aul
Senior Librarian
Technical Services and Systems
New York State Library
Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY  12230
(518) 474-8610

>>> Ted P Gemberling <[log in to unmask]> 9/23/2009 12:06 PM >>>

Betsy,

I'd be curious to know what you perceive as "un-conference or -symposium-like" about them. I'm just curious about this. What is that definition of a conference or symposium? We do also use 111's for expeditions, I think.

Ted Gemberling

UAB Lister Hill Library

(205)934-2461