For what it's worth the Chicago Tribune at the time called each debate "The Great Debate Between Lincoln and Douglas at (location)"  (not an exhaustive search by me)

Does the fact that the Tribune used the singular rather than "The Great Debates ..." suggest that they are independent events?  Likewise my video that recreates only the 5th debate?

Leading questions, I know.

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moon, Betsy (Secretary)
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Lincoln-Douglas debates

Ted,

It just never crossed my mind that a debate between two people would be considered a ‘conference’ or a ‘symposium’.  I’m not saying that it is unreasonable for someone to disagree, but then, I haven’t seen any corporate headings for the various debates between presidential candidates—Nixon/Kennedy, Ford/Carter, etc.  This leads me to believe that campaign debates do not fall under descriptive cataloging practice, because there are no 111 headings for any of these debates.

Betsy Moon

Cataloging Supervisor

U.S. Senate Library

SRB-15, Senate Russell Office Bldg.