Hi, Ray -- Thanks for responding. you were correct that I had taken this off the table because we decided to handle it through a local admin schema outside of PREMIS. If we could handle it with PREMIS, so much the better.

The problem I ran into has to do with this instruction in the Data Dictionary, specifically the second sentence:

"If objectCharacteristicsExtension container needs to be associated explicitly with any PREMIS subunit under objectCharacteristics, the container objectCharacteristics is repeated. If extensions from different external schemas are needed, objectCharacteristics should also be repeated."

That indicates to me that your perfectly reasonable approach (the example of putting MIX and JHOVE output in a single objectCharacteristicsExtension) is not allowed.

Does anyone know what that second sentence is meant to accomplish? Having to repeat objectCharacteristics in that case means you must also repeat required subelements, which is not desirable.

--Robin