Robin - First, my apologies for not following up on this sooner.  Your
"never mind" message let me to think that you had "withdrawn" the issue (so
to speak), but that was probably a faulty assumption, and Rebecca tells me
that you are still concerned about this, so let me address it head-on.

I don't think there is necessarily an error either in the dictionary or
schema.  That is to say, the schema carries the spirit of the dictionary,
which simply says that there may be multiple extensions.  (If you take
literally that "objectCharacteristicsExtensions is repeatable" then yes you
maintain that there is an error, but I think the "spirit" of the dictionary
is that there may be multiple extensions.)

We decided that if you want several extensions within a given
<objectCharacteristics> element, you should put them all within a single
<objectCharacteristicsExtension> element, for example:

<objectCharacteristicsExtension>
    <mix:mix xmlns:"http://whatever">
        <mix:mixelement1></mix:mixelement1>
        <mix:mixelement2></mix:mixelement2>
    </mix:mix>
    <jhove:jhove> xmls:"http://whatever2">
        <jhove:jhoveelement1></jhove:jhoveelement1>
        <jhove:jhoveelement2></jhove:jhoveelement2>
    </jhove:jhove>
</objectCharacteristicsExtension>

This is in contrast to wrapping each extension separately with  an
<objectCharacteristicsExtension> element, e.g.

<objectCharacteristicsExtension>
    <mix:mix xmlns:"http://whatever">
        <mix:mixelement1></mix:mixelement1>
        <mix:mixelement2></mix:mixelement2>
    </mix:mix>
</objectCharacteristicsExtension>
<objectCharacteristicsExtension>
    <jhove:jhove> xmls:"http://whatever2">
        <jhove:jhoveelement1></jhove:jhoveelement1>
        <jhove:jhoveelement2></jhove:jhoveelement2>
    </jhove:jhove>
</objectCharacteristicsExtension>

And the latter would have been a perfectly legitimate way to do it, but we
didn't want to allow two different ways (to do exactly the same thing) so we
chose the first.

However, if the Ed. Board (after seeing this explanation) wants to change
<objectCharacteristicsExtension>  to repeatable, it can be done very easily
in the same manner that we corrected an earlier error (no version change)
and I'll be happy to do it.

--Ray