Hello, Mike,

Thanks for the excellent post. There are two points that I'd like to add.

(1) I was quite surprised that you did not mention the IU FACET Tool
as a means of helping get ones arms around this collection by
breaking it down into sub-collections and assessing the risk
associated with each sub-collection.

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/sounddirections/facet/index.shtml

(2) With a collection of 100,000 hours, I wonder how one might go
about prioritizing the content. FACET permits one to prioritize based
on risk, but there is a content importance factor that is also
available in the system. I wonder if, in 100,000 hours if there are
any duplications of ceremonies or stories. While I am a firm believer
that digitizing and preserving MORE content will be looked upon
favourably by our descendants (as opposed to cherry picking a few
items), I also think the burden we impose on our descendants by
digitizing and preserving everything just because we can is also a
big issue. I don't know the answer, but I'm becoming aware of the
question and its answer should perhaps inform these huge expenditures.

Cheers,

Richard