At 04:45 PM 2009-10-08, Tom Fine wrote:
>My own real-world experience with reel-to-reel tapes is that tracks
>ingested in reverse and then digitally reversed do not sound the
>same as tracks played straight.

There are many factors that may cause this, but a key one is that the
polarity also needs to be reversed. It's like the time I mounted a
head upside down--the colour codes were backwards.

>It's not the digital realm, its the way the reel electronics handle
>transients and phase

There appears to be waveform differences between playback in the two
directions after accounting for the polarity flip. To my ears, this
is an acceptable tradeoff for copying oral history tapes in half the
time. This is especially true of mid-to-low-fi recordings such as
some 3.75 and most 1.88 in/s reels.

Cheers,

Richard