      I think I recall that someone on this list mentioned recently that
Greenwood Press no longer publishes discographies.  Does anyone know why
their "Bio-Bibliographies in Music" Series that began in 1984, stopped in 2005?

      Our local UW Oshkosh Polk Library has ten of these books, and I
recently checked out the ones for Lukas Foss and Otto Luening, the only
names I am familiar with who lived in Wisconsin at one time in their
lives.  These books got me curious about what other composers were in the
Series also from Wisconsin.  Google searching found a volume "Number 99",
but the Greenwood Press page,

http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/series/Bio-Bibliographies%2bin%2bMusic.aspx

only lists 92 titles.  Many searches later, I found all 99 of them, and it
took even more searching to identify the actual Series Number assigned to
every book, unfortunately, there are no others from Wisconsin.  I had hoped
I would find a complete list of the entire Series somewhere on-line in one
place, but if it exists, I couldn't find it ... so I created one.  Several
books in the Series have won ARSC awards, so I thought I would notify the
list about this new page.  Full bibliographical details for each title are
listed in Author Order with cross-reference lists in Composer Order and
Series Number Order.  I hope someone finds it useful.

http://www.folklib.net/index/discog/bibliog9.shtml
    FolkLib Index - Bio-Bibliographies in Music, Greenwood Press

PS:
All Greenwood Music Series titles listed on the ARSC site, also noted on
the above page:

Best Research in Recorded Rock, Rhythm & Blues, or Soul 1999
    1. Elvis Costello: A Bio-Bibliography (finalist)

Best Research in Recorded General Popular Music 2000
    2. Phil Ochs: A Bio-Bibliography (finalist)

Best Research in Recorded General Popular Music 2001
    3. Paul Simon: A Bio-Bibliography (finalist)

Best Research in Recorded Classical Music 2002
    4. Witold Lutoslawski: A Bio-Bibliography (Best Discography)
    5. Pietro Mascagni: A Bio-Bibliography (Certificate of Merit)

Best Research in Recorded Classical Music 2003
    6. George Crumb: a Bio-Bibliography

Best Research in Recorded Classical Music 2005
    7. Leroy Anderson: A Bio-Bibliography (Best Discography)
       (the publisher is noted as Praeger, not Greenwood, why?)
    8. Alan Rawsthorne: A Bio-Bibliography (finalist)

      For some reason, 1991-1998 Finalists are not listed on the ARSC
site.  Of all the Greenwood books published 1990-2005 eligible for an ARSC
Award, 8 are listed by ARSC, and 68 are not.  I wonder if all 68 were
actually considered, but just didn't make the final cut.

PPS: If you reply, Netiquette requests you be selective of what you include
and do not send this entire message back to the List.  Digest readers
especially appreciate this.
Doug Henkle - mailto:[log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447

http://www.folklib.net/
    FolkLib Index: A Library of Folk Music Links
    On-line since 11-25-1995 (13 years)

http://www.folklib.net/index/wi/
    FolkLib Index - Wisconsin Music Site Map
    (everything related to Wisconsin Music and Musicians)
    (both current and historical information)