From: "Casey, Michael T" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reverse engineering

Steve,

Our part of the Sound Directions project, in consultation with a few folks on this list, is in the
middle of conducting research on part of this issue. Preliminary results suggest that there are
polarity and phase distortion issues related to capturing material moving backwards, which is one
big reason for wanting to reverse a sound file in the computer. The engineer doing this research is
on the way to AES so I can't comment more specifically at the moment. We will be publishing on this
and other parallel transfer-related issues by the end of the year.

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

(812)855-8090

Co-Chair, ARSC Technical Committee