----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <[log in to unmask]>
>  Our messages crossed -  Thanks for this information!
>  I wonder if anyone at Greenwood is thinking about making the Discography
> series available
> on CD-ROM?  I, like many older collectors no longer can afford the price
> of
> the print editions
> of discographies.  The production costs for ROM are significantly lower,
> and
> would make the work
> available, if the cost savings are passed on.  If search capabilities are
> included, the ROM
> format is significantly better for searching.
>  Of course, I'd like to see a freely available online national discography
> with everything,
> but until that happens it is nice to see resources like 78discography
> growing.

Actually (as I discovered almost 25 years ago!) to issue discographic
compilations of 78-related data is to put it into a standard database
format! dBASE used to work wondefully well in this respect; the
data in a .dbf file is still in human-readable form.

I entered the RR Perfect listing, as well as much of their compiled
listings of Plaza/ARC files; once I had it in dBASE format, I could
search, sort and index it as I saw fit!

Note that Ty S. has converted the "Abrams Files" into an extensive
set of web-accessible files...creating a VERY useful data source.
Perhaps our next step should be for all of us who own 78's to
use their records to correct/augment Ty's files?!

Steven C. Barr