----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Fritz" <[log in to unmask]>
>   It never ends,  beauty is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.
>   Being in an audio group, we have members that have $4k power cords
> feeding gear worth not much more than that. Their house is probably  wired
> with 14-2 or 12-2 romex connected to a cheap Bryant service  panel fed
> with Aluminum wire from a transformer also feeding 8  neighbors with noisy
> refrigerators and furnace fans.  When a response  is requested on the
> sound of the cable I just say my ears aren't as  good as theirs as I reach
> for another beer:-) their  beer!
>     FWIW, I use a vacuum table so warped records don't present a  problem.
> My music room has a dedicated 200 amp Square D QO load  center panel fed
> with copper wire from a dedicated transformer Va  Power placed on my
> property because I suck so much electricity!  I'm  trying to catch up to
> Al Gore:-) All my gear that can run on 220  volts is connected via
> separate dedicated outlets with 10 - 2  copper  wiring and twist lock
> receptacles.   I choose to spend my money on  good gear connected with
> balanced interconnects so I can spend what's  left on program material
> that makes me smile.

My eventual "78 player" will be the same thing I used for years back in the
seventies!The idea is to take the output of a ceramic cartridge, which gives
a line-level (1v +/-) signal, and feed it into the "Line In" jack of my
computer!

I used to own an RCA "record player," which was connected to my Sony
r-r tape deck (the "heart" of my sound system) via the "Line In" jack.
My recordings of my 78's were broadcast on CBC (via DL)! I find that
modern-day "78 turntables" tend to provide ALL the noise, rather than
all the music!

Steven C. Barr