From: "Tadey, Anthony Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Benchmark A-D converter

I picked up a Benchmark ADC1 USB about a year and a half ago for a project I was working on.  I
think it is great for the price if you only need stereo A-D.  To my ears, while not completely
transparent, it is flatter then some of the others out there.  I have found the converter to be rock
solid running about 8 hr a day 5 days a week for the past year and a half.  I do like its stepped
gain as well, The projects contained a variety of formats and playback machines.  The only problem I
had was a discrepancy when comparing the master AES out to the usb out.  The Benchmark folks were
very responsive to my inquiries.  I was replacing an old A-D so my system was already set up for
AES/EBU I/O which was what I was planning to use but I figured I would also try out the USB when I
was putting the box through the paces.  The clocking on the usb output was different then what I was
getting to the AES/EBU at the same sample rate.  Sounded fine, but the usb files were shorter when
compared to the same stream off of the AES.  I am still not sure if this is a format limitation with
usb (does it require the computer processor to be somewhat of a master clock) or if I was having
driver problems but the AES out as been very stable.  I am about to pick up two more of these
converters for additional workstations.

Good luck
-Tony