In speaking with old tme musicians I know, the Stroh is (apparently)
a patented design, and others are not true to the Stroh design. A
violin with a horn is not by definition a Stroh.

More detail I don't know, but anyone can make one if they hve the
skills, but it won't be a Stroh.

<http://strohviolin.com/>
says:

Our interest in phonofiddles, violinophones or strohviolins dates
back to the early 1990s when discovering one of these unique
instruments in a Thai/Burmese bordertown.Further research revealed
that we had rediscovered a replica of an instrument, widely used in
the early 20th century's recording industry - a Strohviolin - named
after its German inventor and instrument designer Johannes Matthias
Augustus Stroh

Google can tell you more...
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_violin>
<L>