In the 1930s you could buy a needle-sharpening devise about the size
of a matchbox that held a needle and rotated it over some emery paper.
       I think they were for sharpening steel needles  (rather than
for cactus) but I never knew anyone who actually used one.
I did know collectors who swore by cactus (which they sharpened by
hand).  t I believe it turned out that blunt cactus was no more
forgiving than steel.