Hi Jessie,

You might check out "Archivist Toolkit" (http://www.archiviststoolkit.org/)
-- its a comprehensive app designed for applications such as the ones you
described.  We've started using it to manage a large collection of
recordings (I only do the content-creation & metadata inputting, so I can't
speak to its efficacy beyond that).
It was developed in part here at UCSD, so I could put you in touch with its
authors if it looks like it might be useful for you.

Regards,

Dave Kesner

--
Dave Kesner