From: "Warren, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Victrola Needles

Hi Folks,

There's not much doubt that for playing acoustical discs on acoustical-era machines bamboo or fiber
needles seem to provide smoother and quieter results; but those results come with curses from those
who later receive records so played. A chemist explained that the some of the relatively soft fiber
material is burned into the groove walls by the friction &  pressure of the heavy arm and playback
head and is either impossible or nearly impossible to remove. This residue would be difficult to see
because it would have been burned black in playback and bonded to the groove walls. This cooked
organic material can alter the sound of the disc, causing curses from any subsequent owner who hears
the results when playing the discs by other methods (especially the most accurate ones). That's fine
if one can't hear the alteration or one likes the altered sound and keeps one's discs only for use
on vintage machines; but the assertion "played only with cactus or fiber or bamboo needles" is
likely to cause horror and rejection in serious collectors and audio archivists, especially those
who have had to try to deal with ruined records.

Of course, also from the viewpoint of audio archivists and record dealers, "fibered" records form a
category both easy to eliminate from serious consideration and sad to see if rarities are included.

Richard