----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]>
> For what it's worth, I only play junker records on my Victrola, to show it
> in action to folks like the neices and nephews. I would never play a
> good-condition or non-common disk on it (that's what the precision
> turntable, restoration preamp and variety of stylii are for). I have two
> large boxes of disks for just this purpose, all bought dirt-cheap at
> Salvation Army and other thrift stores. About 1/3 of them are actual
> acoustic-era specimens, which makes the experience more genuine (although
> my grandparents told me they never had an electric phonograph in rural
> Mississippi up to when they left in the early 1930's and still didn't get
> an electric phonograph in Texas until the depression eased and they bought
> their first house in the early 1940's -- point being that they were buying
> and playing electric-era records on their old Victrola for a long time,
> and I don't think they were unique in this).

Well...I am striving to restore my original system...which involved a
ceramic-cartridge whose
output was re-fed into a "Line In" jack of an old Sony R-2-R machine (all
carried off,
sadly...?!) As Mr. Lennick will recall, I used this to dub my 78's to
cassette...which he
then used for broadcast!!

Basic message...an acoustic player has an average "tracking pressure" of
quite a few
pounds! This does NOT bode well for shellac records...LET ALONE vinyl...?!

Steven C. Barr