If someone takes this on, I am offering my help, too. I do have some details that were not available
when Michel did his original book, on both pop and classical sessions. I am happy to help in
exchange for a copy of the completed database.

One problem Michel had was that many old session tapes were copied or re-boxed and a "Mercury Sound
Studios" label attached. But, "Mercury Sound Studios," at least as originally constituted on 5th
Avenue in NYC, was not a music-recording studio. It was, rather, an editing and promotion-production
facility, and I think but do not know that disk mastering was added at some point in the 60's. Later
on, in the late 60's, Mercury did operate recording studios, both on 57th Street in Manhattan and
also in San Francisco. There was definitely in-house disk-mastering in NYC at that time, too, under
the direction of John Eargle.

The problem with all these "Mercury Sound Studios" labels on tape boxes is that many jazz and pop
sessions were incorrectly sited at that facility, rather than the proper recording studios. In some
cases, the proper studio information is in the original LP liner notes, but apparently these were
not in the files anymore.

Anyone wishing to update Michel's original work will need to track down and fix all those "Mercury
Sound Studios" references until the late 60's, when Mercury actually did operate recording studios
where music records were made.

There are other cases where "location unknown" can be resolved by photos on the original album
covers. It's a case by case thing, but certain studios had distinctive things that the trained eye
can find.

With the 50's and 60's jazz stuff, some of this was clarified during CD reissues.

None of this is a knock on Michel or any other discographer. These complete discographies are
monumental undertakings and my experience is that record-keeping at most or all record companies is
not what you'd call archival ISO certified quality!

One more thing. I would say the ONLY logical format for ANY discography these days is a database,
and hopefully a standard format that can be easily searched, printed and distributed. So then you
get into what's a viable business model, and in that is the rub. I'm wondering if discography should
go in the class of basic medical research or public artwork, that it's supported by grants and/or
public arts/culture funding.

-- Tom Fine