The October/November issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org>.

In celebration of our upcoming conference, Reclaiming the Right to Rock: Black Experiences in Rock Music<http://www.indiana.edu/%7Eaaamc/br/brconf_2009.html>, which will be hosted on the IU-Bloomington campus on November 13-14, 2009, we're devoting the entire issue to black rock. Featured are two recent films, Electric Purgatory: The Fate of the Black Rocker (dir. by Raymond Gayle) and White Lies, Black Sheep (dir. by James Spooner, best known for his film Afro-punk).  We're also covering new releases by Living Colour, BLK JKS, Ben Harper, and Crown of Thorns (led by Jean Beauvoir).  Among the CD reissues are Ava Cherry's The Astronette Sessions and the Lafayette Afro Rock Band's Darkest Light, as well as a previously unreleased album by our favorite funk rock diva Betty Davis.  Two books are also included- the new autobiography of legendary Chicago deejay Herb Kent "The Cool Gent" whose "Punk Out" show promoted black rock artists, and an updated edition of Jeff Kaliss' I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly & the Family Stone.  Finally, you won't want to miss the new free compilation from Boldaslove.us featuring 17 tracks from some of the hottest black rock artists on the scene today.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org