From: Malcolm Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, Oct 3, 2009 2:40 pm
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Furutech DFV-1 LP Flattener

Yes. Most common method is to put the record in between 2 sheets of
flat glass, put the "sandwich" in direct sunlight until the shellac
softens enough to unwarp the disc, remove sandwich from sunlight and
let cool 2 or 3 hours. Voila, a flat disc.
There are exceptions to this method. It doesn't work on Columbia
laminates or "acetate" (lacquer) discs, either.
Ovens have been used, as opposed to sunlight, but not your home oven.
And not a microwave.
The softening temp usually cited is 125 degrees Fahrenheit and most
ovens will not go that low and have any temperature control or
reliability.
I'm sure others on list will chime in about all this.
Malcolm

*******

Shai Drori wrote:
> Will heating shellac records flatten them?
>
> Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
>> I'm not so sure if it'll work. As most of us can attest, heat and >>
vinyl combine to do strange things
to a vinyl recording. I did not >>
see a temperature adjustment on the unit. If there was one this item >>
would probably work very well for shellac records.