Thank you. I have #s 2 and 5 of the Vox.

                          Roger

--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I hesitate to change the subject line because apparently my previous shorter answer to this was not seen in another subject head.  In 1958 Vox issued 8 and Prestige issued 6 (?) 12-inch 16 2/3 XLPs that were all mastered by Rudy Van Gelder.  I have three of the Vox, and I have never seen any others  anywhere except these three in the warehouse of the record distributor where I worked in 1966 and gave them to me as unsalable.  "The Long Player" and "Jazz and Pops" catalogs listed them in a special section for about a year, and I suppose this means that Sam Goody's was trying to sell them!  If I had more time I'd check when they entered and left the catalog, but this is wha16t 1was there in the 2nd half of 1958.
Prestige
1   Concorde -- Modern Jazz Quar, Milt Jackson Trio
2   Let's Get Away From It All -- Billy Taylor 4   Three Trombones -- Jay Jay Johnson, Kai Winding, Bennie Green
5   Modern Jazz Survey -- NY Jazz
6   Modern Jazz Survey -- Baritones & French Horns
8   Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants
I have no idea what happened to 3 or 7.  5 & 6 didn't appear until the Oct 58 catalog.

Vox
VXL-1  Tchaikovsky  Piano Con 1, Romeo & Julie, Sym 6
VXL-2  Beethoven  Emperor and D Maj Violin Cons, Corioian & Leonore Overs
VXL-3  L'Arfesienne 1&2, Polovetsian, Scheherazade, Nutcracker S.
VXL-4  Geo Feyer -- Round the World, Round the Clock
VXL-5  Syms: Beethoven 5, Dvorak 5, Prokofiev 1, Schubert 8
VXL-6  Piano Cons: Grieg, Liszt 1, Rach 2, Schumann
VXL-7  Dance  Party -- Barreto, Monese, Sandauer
VXL-8  Violin Cons: Tsch, Paganini 1,  Mendelssohn, Bruch 1

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]