And then there are the Deutsche Groamophon truly microgroove 78s,that were made from about 1948-51.Tulip label four selections per record.I think I have three of these,two Wilhem Kempffs,and one Franz Konzwischnys.

                                                  Roger

--- On Tue, 10/6/09, Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] late date 78
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 8:54 PM

Theoretically the best sound at 78 would be with a microgroove size
groove since it would be capable of higher frequency response then a
wide groove, or a microgroove at slower speeds.  There was a label in
the 50s called Audiophile which produced red vinyl microgroove 78s.
When the Soviets started doing LPs in 1953 they issued some at 33 and
others at 78.  I have about 30 of the 78s.  Unfortunately the vinyl used
at that time was very noisy.  Later on they used clear red vinyl for
high quality export copies of widegroove 78s in the early 70s that were
sold in the U.S. by Victor Kamkin's.  I got copies of them in the 90s.
The Soviets released 78s until around 1956 and their shellac was much
quieter than the vinyl they used for LPs of that era.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]