From: Casey, Michael T [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2009 09:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reverse engineering

Steve,Our part of the Sound Directions project, in consultation with a few folks on this list, is in the middle of conducting research on part of this issue. Preliminary results suggest that there are polarity and phase distortion issues related to capturing material moving backwards, which is one big reason for wanting to reverse a sound file in the computer. The engineer doing this research is on the way to AES so I can't comment more specifically at the moment. We will be publishing on this and other parallel transfer-related issues by the end of the year.Mike----------Mike CaseyAssociate Director for Recording ServicesArchives of Traditional MusicIndiana University(812)855-8090 Co-Chair, ARSC Technical Committee-----Original Message-----From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven SmolianSent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:36 AMTo: [log in to unmask]: [ARSCLIST] Reverse engineeringIs there a loss of data accuracy when reversing a sound file? In mono? In stere?Steve Smolian