Everyone - ARC is working on a project with Columbia University to
create "Muslim World Music Day" - that will create a database of as
many relevant recordings as we can locate, plus much academic and
entertainment content. The full project is described (under old
project name)  @   www.arcmmcc.wordpress.com

Of maybe some interest to Listers is a few collection discoveries -
materials we will be cataloging for this project - in Amman, Jordan.

Dr. Mohammed Taha Ghawanmeh , Music professor and Dean of fine art @
Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, has spent his life collecting the
traditional music of Jordan, and the result is a 500 cassette edition,
each cassette one hour long and accompanied by a booklet of lyrics,
notation and explanatory notes.   Only two sets of the series now
exist and I can only hope that some scholars or universities that read
this could find this work useful for their institution of scholarly
pursuits.   Here’s the contact for the fine arts dept :  [log in to unmask]
  and Arabic speakers can call +962 79 574 3535
+
The Jordan Radio and Television Corp has saved nearly its entire
history since the 60s on reel to reel tape, and it is mostly
catalogued.  The recent past is digitized and can be called up
inhouse, electronically.   But for me the real fun was to finally see
some actual Arabic vinyl –  full shelf units of approx 5,000 LPs, 2500
45s and 4,300 seventy-eights.

For a fun overview of my trip see...    www.arcmusic.wordpress.com
B. George