  One difference between the VPI models is that an HW-17 comes with a cooling fan to allow near constant use without overheating.  If used continually, an HW-16.5 can shut down until it cools.  Also, an HW-17 has a system for applying fluid to a disc.  An HW-17 cabinet is made of marine grade plywood to prevent it from swelling up if exposed to water, as a record cleaning machine may well be.  Finally, an HW-17 turntable revolves in both directions which may make groove scrubbing more effective.
  By the way, VPI recently introduced a new model, the HW-27, with a stronger vacuum and metal chassis.  It also has a much better, IMHO, record clamp; easier to use, harder to lose.  Some of you who have a VPI may want to invest in this new clamp even though it isn't cheap.
  For someone who is just going to use a machine to clean a record, listen to it, then clean another record and so on, an HW-16.5 or one of the Nitty Gritty machines should be fine.  But for commercial or institutional use, a professional grade machine is more suitable.
  I know that some ARSCers have a strong preference for one or another brand of record cleaning machine.  (In a similar vein, I like Coke, my sister Pepsi and never the twain shall meet.  However, during visits, in the spirit of sibling harmony, we stock our fridges with the other's soda of choice.)  I, for one, am happy that there are several record cleaning machines still available.  Competition stirs innovation and helps maintain quality of both product and service.
  By way of full disclosure, companies for which I worked in the past handled, in alphabetical order, Keith Monks, Nitty Gritty, and VPI record cleaning machines, so I am fairly familiar with those brands and have used all of them in an institutional setting going back over 30 years.

Larry Miller

>>> Robert Cham <[log in to unmask]> 8/14/2009 7:26 PM >>>
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot to you and the others for the responses.  I'm willing to
go to the expense of a vacuum system machine, just not the top of the
line.  $1300 is a lot of money for the VPI 17. What exactly are the
differences from the 16.5?  Looking at the website, it just looks as
if the brush is automatic on the 17.  Does that really make it worth
$750 more?

The Moth  cleaning machine has a turntable only under the label.
This should solve the complaint about the VPI.  In Britan at least it
can be had for $750 or if you're willing to build the cabinet, about
$425.  It seems roughly equivalent to the VPI 16.5 if I understand
that machine rightly.

The Okki Nooki sells for about $570 in Britan, and seems equivalent
to the 16.5.  Haven't found a US dealer yet.  I wonder where Jan
Myren bought his, or is he in Europe?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bob Cham