>The Arkansas bit, by the way, is an old burlesque routine and was>
> undoubtedly recorded many times by this underground form of
entertainment.>

The main version of this is "Mr. Speaker," a reasonably common party
record issued on both the Zest and on an anonymous pressing. As per
David Diehl's Blue Pages, the artist is known as "The Arkansas
Traveler":

--------

The ARKANSAS TRAVELER

This orator introduces himself as "The Arkansas Traveler" on Signifying
Monkey. In his book Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales, Vance
Randolph collected "Senator Johnson's Great Speech" recited by one H. A.
Converse in Little Rock, AR. It is noted that the gentleman had a
manuscript copy in hand but delivered the speech from memory. Whether it
is he or some other "razorback" on these records is not known but the
recording of Mr. Speaker is very similar to the published speech of the
mythical senator. It has been conjectured that this was a satire written
by Samuel Clemens upon the occasion of the Arkansas legislature's
establishment of the official pronunciation of the state's name in 1881.
Arkans-ASS seems to have lost out in the early balloting; as a
consolation Mr. Buttbuster's Complaint is recommended.
-Monolog ca. 1945-6. All known issues are anonymous.
Mr. Speaker ZEST unnumbered, LD unnumbered (102-A) (135), *** unnumbered
(15), *** PL 102-B (PL-102-B)
-as The Speaker OFF THE RECORD unnumbered (305), JOY 619, *** unnumbered
(305)
-as Speaker *** unnumbered (128) (PL 102-B), *** unnumbered (2073 P.P)
(NX1-2)
-Monolog.
Mr. Buttbuster's Troubles Part 1 *** PL 106-A
Mr. Buttbuster's Troubles Part 2 *** PL 106-B
-with guitar accomp.
Signifying Monkey Part 1 *** PL 107-A
Signifying Monkey Part 2 *** PL 107-B

Forwarded by: