Jackie,

For the past few years at Duke, we've been appending additions (new
accessions) to the end of existing finding aids when those additions are
unprocessed or minimally processed.  Here is a link to a somewhat
exaggerated example with multiple accessions:
http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/rbmscl/bingham/inv/

The hope is to consolidate description for each collection into a single
finding aid.  You'll notice that some of the accessions have box lists,
while others do not.  We record a brief scope/content note for each
accession as an additional 520 field in the collection's MARC record.  With
some exceptions, accessioned material is available for patron use regardless
of its processing state.  All accessioned boxes are barcoded and linked to
the collection's catalog record.

Currently, our finding aids are generated in an XML editor with a series of
templates rather than a database.

-Noah