One thing we try to keep in mind is that the EAD listing need not be in the same order as the physical material.  So if the second accession is processed and the boxes numbered consecutively (that is, picking up where the first set left off) you can go ahead and “integrate” the listing without integrating the material.  Here’s an example: http://library.syr.edu/digital/guides/a/allbritten_d.htm#d0e365 .  You can see that in the first section the box numbers jump around, because we had a second set of material that intellectually belonged up there but isn’t physically integrated.

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Aikens, Barbara
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: examples of EAD finding aids with multiple accessions

This is a common problem for us too, and I am interested in hearing about the solutions.  One issue that we frequently encounter is an addition (unprocessed) to a fully processed collection with a full-level finding aid.   A good number of our collections are fairly contemporary.   How to integrate into the EAD finding aid, without fully integrating the material into already fully processed and fully boxed/foldered collection!?

I’ve played around with making the addition a new series, or just incorporating a detailed description of it into the scope and content note and tacking on the boxes to the container listing.   Interesting that you mention the OPAC/cataloging issue; all of our additions are integrated into the primary collection record.

Barbara D. Aikens

Chief, Collections Processing

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Ph: 202-633-7941

email:  [log in to unmask]

Mailing Address

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

PO Box 37012

Victor Bldg., Suite 2200, MRC 937

Washington, DC  20013-7012