[Apologies for duplicate receipts]

On behalf of the Archivist's Toolkit and Archon projects, we wish to
announce several activities related to the proposed development of a
next-generation archival management tool.  These activities will be
undertaken this fall:

1.   Based on an initial assessment of features in current and planned
future release of the Archivists Toolkit and Archon, we will draft a set
of high-level functional requirements for the new system, ensuring that
essential features derived from each existing tool are included in the
proposed new tool

2.   On or about October 19th, we will disseminate a draft set of
high-level functional requirements to the archives community via the
same venues used to communicate this message.  We will seek comments
from the archives community about the proposed high-level functional
requirements, as well as requests for other features not initially
identified in the distributed draft of high-level requirements.  The
results of this process will be carefully considered, especially in
regard to the anticipated scope of the integrated application and
resources expected to be available for its development.  We anticipate
the comments will be due by November 20th.

3.  We will conduct a migration analysis and recommend to the technical
team potential strategies for migrating all data in current versions of
Archon and the AT to the new application that will be built.

4.   We will host a Webinar on or around December 9th, in order to
discuss the proposed high-level functions and the data migration.
Thirty preselected members from the AT and Archon communities, as well
as from the larger archives community, will be invited to participate in
this session.  The Webinar will be led by a facilitator who is not
formally affiliated with either the AT or Archon projects.  Date,
duration, and other details for this Webinar will be communicated as
they become known.

5.   We will use the comments and feedback from this Webinar to develop
a final list of high level functions, prioritized as either required,
preferable, and optional for the new application.  This list and the
recommended migration strategy will constitute a final report to be
completed by December 31, 2009; it will serve as the starting point for
the specification and technical teams, which have not yet been
constituted.

At this point, we strongly encourage all AT and Archon users and other
interested members of the archives community to participate in this
process.

Please note that the activities being undertaken this fall serve as
track one in a proposed six-track planning and development process.
Track one is self-funded by the host universities for the AT and Archon
projects (University of California San Diego, New York University, and
the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign) and is undertaken in
anticipation that further funding may be received to complete the
planning process and development process.

We look forward to working with you in this endeavor,

Brad, Chris, Scott

Bradley D. Westbrook

Head, Metadata Analysis and Specification Unit

UC San Diego Libraries

Christopher J. Prom, Ph.D

Assistant University Archivist

Scott W. Schwartz

Archivist for Music and Fine Arts

Sousa Archives and Center for American Music

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaing