The OCLC governance structure changed this year.  My term as FEDLINK's
representative ends in May 2011.  We are transitioning to a new three
tiered governance structure for OCLC (Board, Global Council, and
Regional Councils).

The major changes include:

*	OCLC Board of Trustees will continue to exist and be advised by
members through a Global Council.
*	Member's Council is now the Global Council with proportional
representation from each continent.
*	Global delegate are no longer apportioned on the basis of
network. (FEDLINK no longer has guaranteed representation.)
*	New regional councils have been created subordinate to Global
Council including the Americas Regional Council.
*	The Americas Regional Council (ARC) will be the primary forum
for federal librarians to make their issues known.
*	ARC will nominate the candidates to be elected by OCLC members
in our region to the Global Council.

I urge any interested federal librarian to become involved with the new
Americas Regional Council (ARC). This group is forming and welcomes new
members. It is crucial that the federal library community continue to
have a voice in OCLC operations.

Here is a quick update on ARC activities.

1.       Scheduled Meetings.

a.       ARC's first public meeting will be held on Friday, January 15,
2010 from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM in Boston in conjunction with ALA
Midwinter.  This will be an open meeting.  There will be a continental
breakfast served.  The agenda for this meeting will be finalized in the
next two weeks.  We will send the agenda to you as soon as it is done.
We will publicize the meeting to the membership through various
channels.

b.      The Global Council will meet in Dublin, April 19-22, 2010.

c.       The ARC's first official "Annual Meeting" will be held in
conjunction with ALA in Washington, D.C. on June 24 - June 30.  Time and
details to be announced later.

2.       Nominations Committee.  Under the leadership of Steve Podgajny,
the committee is working diligently to prepare for the spring 2010
elections for open Global Council delegate positions (2010 - 2013) from
the ARC and ARC officers (2010 - 2011).

3.       Service Group Committee.  Ted Schwitzner has recently been
named chair of this committee and its members are in the process of
being selected.  The committee is charge to "submit a plan to the ARC
Executive Committee Chair by February 26, 2010. The plan will include
recommendations for topics to be covered and a proposed schedule for
July 2010 - June 2011."  We will be seeking your further input on this
issue.

Contacts for the ATC include the chair - Patrick Wilkinson
[log in to unmask] and vice-chair Anne Prestamo

Also please contact me if you have any questions.

Chris

Christopher Cole

Associate Director for Technical Services

National Agricultural Library

10301 Baltimore Avenue, Room 204

Beltsville, MD 20705-2351

301 504-7294 voice