The NPR story may be online but I couldn't find it through their
search tool. I recall it being Morning Edition. For the record, I
didn't debate it on the air, I just stated that it sounded inauthentic
to me. I said it sounded like dubbed noise over modulation too good
for cylinders of that time (1891 or 92?). I got e-mails telling me how
ignorant I was because I didn't recognize how superior cylinder
recording was then. It was a fun controversy. Many of us agreed that
Haley was a con man but admired his choosing a comparatively obscure
excerpt to pass off. As Mike B. said, Whitman's every move of that
period was recorded in diaries. Whitman forgot to include the "P.S. I
heard my voice today as recorded by Mr. Edison?"

Sam

[SNIP]