From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

record cancer or wear: I have yet to see internal material breakdown that
stops abruptly at some radius. On the other hand, if the record had been out
in the open for a year (and in the sun or with somebody smoking a year's
supply of big, fat cigars close to) with a 10" record on top, then I would
expect a difference in surface from the exposed rim and the protected inner
part. The haze you see would have to cover also the run-in area--we have not
been told.

The wear explanation I would believe. If the horrible sound stops instantly,
and if you can scratch back and forth (with a suitable pickup!!) to go from
bad to good to bad, then it is certain to be wear. And it would not be a worn
stylus, but a chipped one, most likely a diamond, rather than sapphire.

All belief and speculation would be avoided if we had proper photographs
available, and possibly a microscope photograph with correct lighting.

Kind regards,

George