Identification
The standard way to identify the base material of a lacquer disc is
to examine the disc's
center hole where silver metal (from an aluminum base), glass, or
cardboard will be
visible. These bases also have distinctive sounds when the disc is
struck gently against
its edge using an object such as a ring. An aluminum base yields a
sound that has been
described as a "pong" while the glass sound is more of a "ping."
Cardboard will, of
course, have no sound.

Casey, Mike. "FACET, The Field Audio Collection Evaluation Tool :
Format Characteristics
and Preservation Problems, Version 1.0". Bloomington: Indiana
University, 2007.

Marcos Sueiro Bal
Masterdisk
718.902.7441