Aaron Levinson wrote:
> Don-
>
> You are suggesting that one pass with a very worn stylus produced this
> kind of greying? That seems kind of hard to fathom

Not if this is a styrene pressing rather than vinyl.  I have seen
microgroove styrene pressings absolutely shredded when played by a 78
stylus or a stylus with a sharp facet.  You haven't told us if this
pressing is vinyl or styrene.

> considering all
> the other anecdotal evidence that suggests that Mercury and Emarcy
> seem to exhibit this "record cancer" when almost no other labels do?

Funny thing is that many early Mercury and Emarcy pressings are styrene
when practically none others were.  A few Harmony and many Gold/Silver
Crest LPs are also styrene, and Decca was using a slightly different
type of styrene in the late 50s.  Most Columbia 45s were styrene.
Back-cueing  them by DJs can kill the first seconds of these.

> I have seen many records that have been played by a worn stylus and
> are greying but none that I have ever seen, stop so abruptly as this
> record does.
>
> AA

Since most microgroove records are vinyl, I would expect that this would
be almost everybody's experience.  But I have seen it happen.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]