I have a have and have seen several WWII Gem, Red Cross and other discs but
 the original poster, on another list, states that they are definitely "45"
 blanks.

I have a 7" lacquer disc blank with the "45" center hole so they were
available. That may have been a likely format to use during the Korean  war era,
since a "45" player would have been more universally available  than reel
tape, or even a 78 turntable late in the decade.

Of course during the 50's and 60's, there were many more alternate means
available to "call home" than during WWII, but if one wanted to send a disc
recording, the "45" format could make sense then.

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 11/18/2009 2:18:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,