 From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, Steve Smolian asked:

> What is "type-wri-toon?"  It doesn't show up on a search.

----- it is a misspelling, I am sorry. The correct way is
"Typewri-Toons", and it is my belief they were invented by MAD Magazine, of
which I hold a few from the early 1960s, when they were an important input to
me about American culture, which I was sometimes surrounded by. Spelling it
this way, I found results on Google (saving me the trouble of finding my
copy, although I know where it is [supposed to be]), such as:

" MAD magazine did it first
Written by Jared Leone
Jared Leone, a TheSequitur.com senior editor, is a staff writer for the St.
Petersburg Times and a federal courthouse stringer for the Associated Press.

Thursday, 20 September 2007

MAD Magazine did it first
Typewri-toons were supposed to take the world by storm. The comic feature in
MAD Magazine made light of the sideways reading of special characters
produced by a typewriter.

The keyboard, the typewriter of today, supposedly was the tool that created
the first "smiley" :-) face in 1982. Scott E. Fahlman, a Carnegie Mellon
University professor, is credited with first using the colon, hyphen, and
parentheses to end a message posted to an electronic bulletin board. Here is
wishing the sideways smiley face a happy 25th birthday.

I still say MAD Magazine started it. ;-p  "

I fully and independently agree; I LOLled when smileys came along as the
"new" use of signs. However, my son tells me that it is as old as
typesetting. And certainly, I have enjoyed using Christian Morgenstern's "Des
Fisches Nachtgesang" when discussing translations. Only, here the parentheses
are turned.

Kind regards,

George