Factually -

Moore's law has nothing to do with storage - it has to do with the density of transistors on an integrated circuit approximately doubling every 12 months.

The main reason that CRT's were taken out of production initially was due to the RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) directive in manufacturing in Europe effectively banning 6 hazardous substances used in electronics equipment manufacturing (there is lots of lead in CRT glass). The factories for CRT manufacture had been set up quite some time ago world wide and maintaining them would have been far more profitable then retooling for LCD and Plasma production. Almost all the manufacturers in that business wrote off huge amounts of money due to the switch over. It would have made far more sense financially to continue using factories that had already been built and depreciated to continue to produce product that was extremely profitable due to decades of perfecting the manufacturing process and reducing the cost of manufacture. That simply was not an option. While one could certainly suggest that the switch over to LCD/Plasma would have caused the change anyway, the timetable was definitely not up to the manufacturers of CRT's - indeed most of them are still loosing money in the flat screen business and many have exited the manufacture of them or now simply have product badged for them or do some rudimentary assembly of units. The manufacture of the LCD panels themselves has moved for the most part to different players in the industry who may not have even been large players in CRT manufacturing.  The move to LCD was a major financial stumble for several of the companies who formerly were in the CRT business.

I have read no press releases or news articles stating that optical media players are about to go out of production. There certainly are the usual evolutions of models and capacities and media types, but out of production is not something that has actually happened or seems to be on the near horizon. Remember that optical media players have several markets that make production numbers very substantially larger then audio home entertainment applications alone. Video Game and Computer marketplaces are still very big users of these products and likely will continue to be for some time. Again, manufacturing economies of scale allow units to be cheaper so that they may be  included into a variety of systems reducing item cost and increasing profit for the manufacturer who has made the rather large capital investment required to produce these devices in the first place. It is makes far more financial sense for manufacturers to continue existing manufacturing lines then to retool or discontinue them.

Jim Lindner

Email: [log in to unmask]

  Media Matters LLC.
  450 West 31st Street 4th Floor
  New York, N.Y. 10001

eFax (646) 349-4475
Mobile: (917) 945-2662

www.media-matters.net
Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in archival audio and video material. We provide advice and analysis, to media archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to collection management.