 Hi Dave, I've been meaning to check out open repositories like dspace
and fedora commons for ages,but have never gotten around to actually
do it. Certainly no turn key solution, but that should provide
many features you look for. For content delivery you could also make
something in drupal or any other similar php driven cms with a medium
amount of tinkering. I just woudn't trust that for long time archiving
as such.

Hope that helps a little
Best
Maurice

On Tuesday, November 17, 2009, Dave Nolan Audio
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I'm hoping that folks on the ARSC-List might have some advice on audio/multimedia content management systems and databases.
>
> Our old Access database where we keep a variety of information about our events at the 92nd Street Y is sorely in need of a redesign, overhaul, or complete replacement to accommodate the evolving nature of our media management needs.
>
> Ideally I would like to be able to keep track of every iteration of every event in our archive - original physical media (we have 15,000 recordings going back to 1949), high-res audio (and video) files (both new recordings and archival transfers), and all assorted derivative files and/or physical media created from the master.
>
> I am curious as to which content management systems people are using that might best serve our needs, and what sort of database solution(s) might play nicely with a content management and delivery system to allow various departments to access media files with varying levels of permissions from "listen/view only" to complete ability to create and deliver derivative files for electronic delivery or physical media when needed.
>
> I'm thinking that there might be a system aimed at the broadcasting market that we can adapt to our needs, but apart from working with DAVID and Prophet systems at WNYC, I don't have a heck of a lot of direct experience with or knowledge of what's out there.
>
> I am particularly interested to find out if anyone is using any sort of turnkey system that might work "out of the box", as there may not be the resources for us to outsource the design of a custom SQL database with HTML front end, as well as hiring a full-time administrator to keep the system running and write new code when needed.
>
> A tall order I'm sure, but i am still hopeful that folks out there might have come across a broadcast content management system that we can adapt to our situation, which has a great deal of overlap with public broadcasting in many ways.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance, resources, or advice you can offer :-)
>
> dave nolan
> Audio Archivist
> 92nd Street Y
> nyc