Hello Ethan,
Thanks for asking. The documents validate in general in IE and XMetaL
which we use to edit them. I am unaware of any browser besides IE that
will handle EAD with dependent subdocument entities. If you can
suggest one, I'd love to know. For example, when you try to open the
document in Firefox it only sees the master document and ignores the
dependent documents.
Bob

On Nov 6, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Ethan Gruber wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Are you sure they validate, in general?  Have you tried validation
> through Saxon or an editor like oXygen?  Can you open the document
> in Firefox?
>
> Ethan
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Robert Young Walser <[log in to unmask]
> > wrote:
> Hello all,
> In our EAD instance we have gaelic and other languages that require
> accented characters. At the moment when we enter these as entities
> and try to display them in IE, they fail to validate and thus do not
> display. This is a massive document with 20 dependent document
> entities. Do I need to change the <DOCTYPE> of the master document
> in some way - or modify my stylesheets, or modify the <?xml
> version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> statement in one or all of the xml
> files?
> Thanks,
> Bob Walser
> Bob Walser